9.13.2010

Judging Books

Hi there!
I thought I'd post up a little info on what was supposed to be a one-shot, but is quickly turning itself into a short story (at least). The first chapter should post later this week, and will likely be three chapters when it's done. That's the plan for now, anyway. As you may have noticed, sometimes my stories take on a life of their own, and who knows what it will be later.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the summary and a little excerpt from the first chapter, and all you wonderful peeps out there can tell me what you think. :)

Judging Books

Summary: Bella’s on the debutante track to life in the financial world, just as her Dad has always planned. A chance meeting at a stop light with a beautiful boy on a bicycle gives her a new outlook on life. Can she forego the family dynasty and live life to the fullest with this fascinating, but damaged, young man?

***
“Hey,” a soft voice said beside me. I startled. I hadn’t even heard him come up, but when I looked to my right, one of the boys was right next to me.

He was standing up on the bicycle with one wheel high up in the air, balancing on the pedals as easily as if he was standing on the ground. He was wearing a faded pair of ripped up jeans, with one pant-leg completely missing, making the garment a half pair of shorts. His shirt was also faded, with the logo of some metal band on the front.

When I looked up into his face, I was surprised to see he was a little older than I had originally assumed. I always figured groups of boys hanging out on the corner ranged from about fourteen to sixteen, but this one had to be out of high school. He had a couple of days’ worth of stubble covering his cheeks and neck, unruly, brownish-red hair and intense, bright green eyes. His full bottom lip was adorned with a pair of thin silver hoops through the left side, and a matching hoop went through his eyebrow. There was some dark, swirling tattoo wrapping around his left arm, and something more colorful just peeking out of the collar of his T-shirt, but I couldn’t make out the details of either design. There was a thin gold chain around his neck, the front of which was tucked into his shirt with the chain pulled tight at the front, the lump of a charm of some sort hiding underneath the fabric.

“Would you go to dinner with me?”

“Excuse me?” There was no way I had heard him right. I mean – guys with piercings and tattoos didn’t walk up to women wearing suits and heels to ask them out for dinner.

“See, you’re really, really pretty,” he shrugged, twisting his hips a little and making the bicycle spin in a full circle before facing me again. “And my buddy Emmett says if you’re pretty on the outside, you’re probably ugly on the inside. I just want to see if he’s right.”

***

6 comments:

  1. Um... that is scarily like one of my plot bunnies. Have you been routing around in my head? o.O No, seriously. Except he was a skateboarder without piercings or tatts or a backhanded pick up line. Your Edward isn't hung up because people have trust issues with him, is he? IS HE??!?

    Needless to say, it sounds like something I would definitely read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd read it Shay! Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! Would like to read more of it! Will you only post here on your blog or FFN and Twilighted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last paragraph totally drew me in and makes for an interesting premise for a story. Does she run or does she take on the challenge (I think we ate least know now that will go) Good luck...anxious to read the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! Really interested in read more of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last paragraph totally drew me in and makes for an interesting premise for a story. Does she run or does she take on the challenge (I think we ate least know now that will go) Good luck...anxious to read the results.

    ReplyDelete