This is in response to more than one blog comment, thread response, and review. Did I really not realize people would leave a story based on particular types of angst? Yes. Here's why.
The answer to that is pretty simple - I'm a writer, not a Twilight fan. Not that I don't like Twilight - I definitely do! - but I'm not a "Twilight fangirl". Love the characters, find them very interesting, and I write what I consider interesting. I started writing Twilight FF on a whim, because I wanted more EPOV after reading the unfinished Midnight Sun - NOT because I'm a member of the Twilight Fandom.
- I don't read that many other FF stories. I've read a decent number, but not a lot
- I never read the reviews of other stories.
- I don't read forums for other writer's stories.
- I'm not into the fandom community
The last one is probably the big one. I don't pay attention to the gossip, I don't follow "Robsten," I would never hang out in line for a panel, I'm not counting the days to the BD release. There isn't anything wrong with anyone who is - I've met lots of wonderful people writing Twific, and most of them are seriously into the Twifandom stuff. They're having fun, and that's wonderful. I would go hang out in line for days just to be with them and have a good time. If there was a panel at the end, well, I guess I'd stick around and watch it, as long as there weren't too many "under-twenties" screaming for Rob. (I really, really feel sorry for that guy!)
The point of this - I don't know what causes people to "flounce" stories because I don't pay attention to that. I write what makes sense to me and makes sense to my beta and pre-readers. It's far from perfect, because I'm always learning to make it better, but it does make sense.
If I'm not into Twifandom, why do I find the characters interesting in the first place? Because they are all horribly, horribly FLAWED. Here are a few examples:
- Edward - manipulative, controlling, jealous, and has a lot of anger management issues.
- Jacob - outwardly trying to steal another guy's girl, no matter how many times they both tell him to fuck off, sexually assaults Bella, then drives her home whistling and smiling. I won't even go into the Renesme thing.
- Charlie - hears his daughter has been assaulted, and congratulates the perpetrator. Later on - "Oh, you have a demon child. I guess you can call me Gramps!" WHA?!?
- Bella - I don't get her. Never did. That's probably why I struggle writing her POV. She accepts absolutely everything, from her mother's remarriage, her BF being a vampire, her impending doom over and over again, and the love of her life no longer loving her. She stoically stands in the middle of the street when four men attack her, hangs out with pack of werewolves, is good with leaving her life behind to become a vamp (OK, I might have done this one, too), is fine with the demon child growing inside of her...etc. So yeah, I don't think accepting a concubine - a perfectly normal thing in her society - is a big stretch for her. :)
All that said - even if I was into the fandom, I wouldn't change a thing.
I shall remind you of the slogan on the top of the blog - Fiction with Teeth. I will go there, people. Wherever it is you think I just might not go, I probably will. I have no reservations and consider nothing too taboo. I'm not going to glorify anything vile (child abuse, slavery, etc), but that doesn't mean it won't be there. You aren't supposed to "like it" - it's supposed to make you think about it. Considering all the (positive and negative) responses UC has received - you are thinking about it!
Why? I like exploring those dark subjects, and the vast majority of my readers do, too. That's why they read my stories - because they are dark. I think a few people just got blindsided by UC because they hadn't read any of my other stories, didn't heed the angst warning, and thought they were reading a fairy tale.
I've heard a lot of theories about where Offside is going now, too. It should also be interesting. :)
I could also pull a Sixth Sense/Fight Club/Crying Game move on ya.
Oooo!! Edward finds out Bella is transgendered!
Or maybe I'm just messing with ya.